Use this breath to reduce anxiety
Practice this breath technique (pranayama) daily to support you in managing anxiety. It will help you regulate your nervous system so that when anxiety arises you’ll have a greater capacity for working with it.
You may benefit from taking a few deep inhales followed by exhales with sound in preparation for this practice.
- Sit tall with a straight spine or lay on your back.
- Place one hand just below your navel.
- Inhale the first third of your full breath into your belly; feel your belly expand with your hand that’s on your navel.
- Inhale the second third of your breath into your bottom lungs, the space between both hands.
- Inhale the final third of your breath into the top of your lungs; feel your breastbone expand with your upper hand.
- Exhale the breath out from the top of your lungs, followed by releasing the air from your lower lungs, and then exhale fully the remaining air in your belly.
- Repeat all of the above steps a minimum of three times.